St. John’s Church – Cohoes, NY
St. John’s, Cohoes: On May 2, 1831, St. John’s was incorporated, then consecrated on May 12, 1833. On July 1, 1868, land on Mohawk Street was purchased to build a new church, and on December 15, 1875, the new St. John’s was consecrated. September 6, 1894, St. John’s was completely destroyed by fire, and on April 22, 1896, the new church was opened for use. As the demographics of Cohoes changed, the church on Mohawk Street became too large and difficult to maintain. So, a new church was designed and constructed on Vliet Blvd. and consecrated by Bishop Brown on March 14, 1970. Our mission is to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ, making known his redeeming and transforming love.