St. Thomas’ Church – Tupper Lake, NY

Vicar: The Rev. Canon A. William Cooper, Jr
Location: 8 Brentwood Ave, Tupper Lake, NY 12986
Telephone: (518) 359-8786
Send E-Mail
Saint Lawrence Deanery

St. Thomas’, Tupper Lake, the oldest church in Tupper Lake, began in 1890 when a train owner and man with a heart for God, John Hurd, gave free train rides to persons who would attend a church service held in the train station led by Mr. Hurd. The train became known as the “Gospel Mission Train”. St. Thomas had three locations, the first being the “train”, then for years, it occupied what is now the Baptist Chapel.  Groundbreaking for its current location came in April 1991, and the first service was held that summer. Fr. Bill Cooper has led the congregation since 2003. The church’s mission is “to mirror the loving generosity of God for the people of Tupper Lake.”