Trinity Church – Potsdam, NY

Potsdam, TrinityRector: The Venerable Dr. Christopher A. Brown
Deacon: The Rev. Lora Smith
Deacon: The Rev. Margaret Theodore
Location: Fall Island, 8 Maple St, Potsdam, NY 13676
Telephone: (315) 265-5754
Send E-Mail
Website: Trinity Church
Saint Lawrence Deanery

Trinity Church, Potsdam: Episcopalians met in Potsdam in the early 1800s, encouraged by the missionary, Daniel Nash, and pastored by the rector of St. Paul’s, Waddington.  Under the leadership of the Clarkson family, founders of Clarkson University, Trinity became a parish in 1835.  The Clarksons  provided funds and materials for the sandstone structure on Fall Island in the center of town, consecrated by Bishop Onderdonk in 1836.  John Clarkson wrote, “The formation of a parish with prospects so encouraging must be a pleasing circumstance to the friend of the church who regards her as presenting reasonable doctrines and scriptural liturgy.”  Trinity has long been closely tied to local universities, while extending a pastoral, Christ-centered outreach to the North Country. Mission.   Until 1959 these churches remained independent, although often shared clergy.